Creating Digital Portfolios with Adobe Express was the main theme of the Adobe Day at Somerville Secondary College on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria on Thursday 13th October. What I really enjoy about Adobe Days is spending a whole day face to face with 100s of students from a range of years levels as well as lots of teachers, sharing with them what they can create with Adobe tools.
Digital Portfolios are one of the many publications that are simple to create with Adobe Express. I worked with four different groups of students from Years 7 to 11 sharing the value of digital portfolios and getting them all to create their own with the access to Adobe Express that has been provided to all Victorian government school secondary students by the Victorian Department of Education & Training.
We discussed the following points about Digital Portfolios:
- Portfolios are designed to demonstrate what students know and how they got there.
- They can be website, video, podcasts or other types of media
- Portfolios help students to reflect on their learning, show evidence of learning, make connections between topics and develop presentation skills
- Portfolios can be created for classmates, teachers, parents, future course admissions officers future employers
I created this portfolio site to help the students further understand and develop their own digital portfolios in the future.
At lunchtime, I ran a competition involving using Adobe Express to create an infograhic based on the theme of skills to thrive in the future and a set criteria. The winners won chocolate.
After school, about 50 of the teaching staff and some local visiting teachers took part in a professional learning session focused on engaging students in any curriculum area and level with Adobe Express, Character Animator and Premiere Rush.
Key resources I shared with the teachers included:
- The Adobe Education Exchange – https://edex.adobe.com/
- Adobe Creative Educator program site – http://adobe.ly/ACE
- Australasian Coming events – https://adobe.ly/eduevents
- Contact Adobe Edu – https://adobe.ly/contact-edu-apac
- Adobe Express for Education – https://www.adobe.com/education/express/
- Adobe Express Tutorials – https://adobe.ly/express-apac
- Premiere Rush Tutorials – https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-rush/tutorials.html
I would like to thank Charles Travis, Design and Technology Leading Teacher at Somerville Secondary College for organising this event for his school.