While in Adelaide this week, I had the opportunity to meet the amazing Dr Gill Hicks who was speaking with global education guru, John Hunter at a World Peace Games event hosted by Annesley Junior School.
Dr Hicks was a survivor of the London terrorist Bombings in July, 2005 where she lost both legs below the knees. Today, she is well known as a motivational speaker with a message of tolerance and compassion.
Some of the gems of wisdom I noted from her presentation included:
- We should celebrate our capacity to adapt and learn from over 60,000 years of indigenous wisdom within our own country
- Ideas are really powerful, they connect us and cannot be killed by a suicide bomber or war.
- Design thinking helps us come up with new and greater ideas
- We need to get creative
- Peace can be exhausting, it’s not a nice, soft or easy option. Peace can be very challenging
- Talk with people who have different view to you
Have a look at her TED talk
It was a pleasure to hear from John Hunter who is doing amazing things around the world with students in a quest for world peace. Here is his TED Talk …
Congratulations to Luke Ritchie Principal of Annesley Junior School as well as his staff and students for putting on this very inspiring evening.